ALUU 4 KILLING- PARENTS OF VICTIM SPEAK | INFO NAIJA 247
Your SEO optimized title

PARTNERS

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Pin It

Widgets

ALUU 4 KILLING- PARENTS OF VICTIM SPEAK

Lloyd Toku was a 200 level undergraduate of Civil
Engineering at the university before he was killed.

Mrs. Jane Toku, the mother of Lloyd, one of the four
undergraduates of the University of Port Harcourt
that were lynched at Aluu community in Rivers
State, says her son's death will always haunt her.

She was shock that the crowd could
watch how her son and his friends were
gruesomely murdered. Jane spoke with Punch
correspondent amid tears on Monday in Port
Harcourt.

She said "When we got there, one of them was
still breathing. He was gasping for breath, but the
crowd…they were all there watching while my
baby (Lloyd) was butchered. Come to my area and
ask questions about my child; the child I trained.

"Penultimate Sunday, we went to church, Salvation
Ministry; that is where he worshipped. We all went
together for the second service. He stayed back for
the remaining service. When he came back, he
started preparing to go to school. I can still see him
as I talk to you.
"He brought out a book; 'How Faith Works' by
David Ibiyomie and he said 'Mummy, read this
book and you will know what faith is all about. By
the time I come back on Friday, you will tell me
what faith is all about.'

"Ever since, I have been moving around with that
book, so that I could read and not get him angry
when he comes back from school and ask me about
what I learnt from the book.

"Thursday was his daddy's birthday. He (Lloyd)
called him and wished him happy birthday. When
his daddy asked him if he would be coming home
to celebrate the birthday with the family, he
(Lloyd) promised to be back on Friday after
lectures.

"But on Friday morning, we got the call that my
son was being beaten. How can I erase the fact that
my son was lynched from my mind? He studied
very hard and got admission into the university."

Currently,there is nobody in the community again,the inhabitants of the area left their
homes to avoid being arrested by security agents.

Shops and supermarkets did not open their outlets for business,they felt students of the
university were planning a reprisal on the
community.

The immediate past President of UNIPORT Student's
Union, Mr. Rhino Owhorkire, told our correspondent
that students had shelved the idea of any reprisal.


Lloyd's
father, Mr. Mike Toku, insisted that his son was
neither a thief nor a cult member.
Toku, who is the Assistant Director, Presentation,
Radio Rivers and a father of three male children,
narrated how he got a distress call that his son was
being beaten up by a mob.

"On Friday morning at about 7am, we got
a distress call that our son was being beaten
alongside two of his friends. So, we quickly rushed
down. Initially, it was very difficult for us to locate
the place, but by the grace of God, we were able to
locate the place.He said

"By the time we got there, we saw a mammoth
crowd with a few Joint Task Force members there.
So, we pulled through the crowd and when I tried
to move closer, the JTF operatives told me to move
back. Later on, one of my cousins supported me
and we moved on again and explained to them (JTF
operatives).

"I move close to the four corpses on the ground
and I discovered that one of them was my son. We
were also able to identify the other three as his
friends. We took the corpses to UPTH to ascertain
whether they were still alive. A doctor came out,
examined them and said they were all dead. My
son has never stolen before," Toku explained amid
tears.

"All I want is for justice to be done. That's all.
Whoever carried out that dastardly act should be
brought to book. That is all I want. I have not got
assurance from anybody that justice will be done. I
am yet to get that (assurance). Nobody has talked
to us yet.

Source - punch Nigeria.


follow me on twitter
www.twitter.com/infonaija247
facebook page www.facebook.com/informationnaija

share this story on facebook and twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment